The magnificent white tomb serves as the final resting place of our founder Quaid e Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah. This tomb was built by Yahya Merchant in 1960 and from that day it has been serving as the heart of Karachi. Every single soul living in Karachi has witnessed the beauty of this place at least once in their life. The breathtaking structure of this magnificent tomb can be seen from multiple vantage points in the city and even from a distance. A tall white pole rises from the tomb and flutters the flag of Pakistan. This tomb has multiple entrance gates that open up to the centre of the grave. Right above the grave is a beautiful glass chandelier hanging from the ceiling. This tomb is now a symbol of Karachi, any delegation that visits Pakistan pays a visit to this tomb too. To show their gratitude towards the Father of our nation. Also, this tomb is also a resting place of Liaquat Ali Khan, Mohtarma Fatima Ali Jinnah, Abdur Rab Nishtar and Nurul Amin.
Address: M. A. Jinnah Rd, Central Jacob Lines GymKhana Karachi
The palace was built by Ahmed Hussein Agha by the orders of Shivratan Mohatta in the affluent seaside neighbourhood of Clifton. The double-storey structure covers an area of 18,000 square feet. The moment you enter the palace, you first notice the beautifully coloured windows on the exterior, a wall of stone, and minarets; an eye-catching view of architectural splendour. The rooftop is shaped into a stunning structure with a central dome surrounded by smaller ones. If you go all the way up to the rooftop of the building, you might be able to catch a view of the sea, although it is now surrounded by multiple buildings. After Shivratan Mohatta moved out of Pakistan this place fell under the control of foreign ministers of Pakistan and they keep on running their business there. Mohatta palace is historically important in a number of ways. As Fatima Jinnah lived the last days of her life in this palace. After her death, this palace was handed over to Shirin Jinnah and after her death due to ownership issue, this palace was taken by the government. The palace was then closed for all the political and public use. Until 1995, an application by Sindh government was forwarded by the then prime minister Benazir Bhutto gave the provincial culture department Rs 7 million to buy the Mohatta Palace. It now serves as a museum for the people of Pakistan.
Address: 7 Hatim Alvi Road, Block 5 Old Clifton, Karachi.
This ancient construction in Karachi was constructed 150 years back. It was initially constructed to serve as Karachi’s town hall. But after British rule, Frere Hall was turned into a library. This library is the biggest and the oldest library of Karachi, containing 70 thousand books which also includes handwritten manuscripts.
Back in 2003 and 2011 this place was closed multiple times due to threats of terror attacks, but it is now permanently open for the public since 2012. Many events and exhibitions that occur on a big scale are planned here. The Frere Hall stands still but speaks volumes about an entirely different time, tradition, culture and society. While we admire the beauty of this place we cannot help but be overwhelmed by the realization that these stone-carved walls, complex designs, railings and brackets of this magnificent structure were in existence almost two centuries ago, transmitting ancient societal norms, values and traditions through time.
Address: Fatima Jinnah Rd, Civil Lines Saddar, Karachi
Empress Market is located in one of the oldest areas of Karachi, Sadar. This market was named after queen victoria, empress of India. It was constructed between the years 1884 to 1889. It was one of the seven markets of Karachi that served people with all the commodities including meat, pet food, spices, textile and many more. But one heart-wrenching fact that most of the people are unknown to us that the same place where now the empress market now stand tall was the place where Britain brutally executed sepoys after the first war of independence. Empress market is now a source of income for many karachiites, all types of spices from all over the world, textile, vegetables and all the other commodities are available there.
Address: Sadar, Karachi
The two-story building in Kharadar, area of Karachi is called wazir mansion. This place was constructed in 1860 to 1870. It is the birthplace of ou founder Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah. He spent 16 years of his life in this house with his parents before he left for London. After the birth of Mohtarma Fatima Ali Jinnah, this place was sold to someone else by the owner. In 1958, Wazir Mansion was acquired by the Government of Pakistan and protected it under the Ancient Monuments Preservation Act and the Pakistan Public Works Department (PWD) was assigned the work of its renovation and conservation. This place now serves as a museum and national archive.
Address: Kharadar Bunder Quarter, Karachi